Many states in this country have begun examining the total value of expanding Medicaid coverage for their citizens, as well as the overall benefits of economic development incentives, in order to better understand what kind of programs will generate the most positive economic impact possible.
We hope you can join REMI Economic Associate Kyle Compton in Topeka, Kansas on Tuesday, March 10th from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for our upcoming REMI policy luncheon, “Hunting Development: Responsible Incentive and Medicaid Expansion Strategies.” This luncheon presentation explores how dynamic economic modeling can help determine a region’s pathway to prosperity by analyzing and prioritizing planning procedures.
Starting in 2020, states are going to be responsible for financing 10% of the cost associated with expanding the Medicaid coverage of their citizens, with the federal government assuming the other 90%. Mr. Compton looks forward to describing different approaches to funding the state portion of these Medicaid obligations, how these approaches affect the overall economy, and how these approaches impact job creation and investment as states anticipate a large influx of federal dollars.
During his luncheon, Mr. Compton will also be discussing how REMI can be used to evaluate economic development incentives across the country before explaining best practices for identifying their true costs and benefits. In order to accomplish this, his explanation will include how to run a sensitivity analysis to offer new approaches to the uncertainty around the but-for question, how to account for the opportunity cost of an incentive, methods for understanding the regional context surrounding an incentivized project, what new revenues are generated by the spin-off impacts of incentivized projects, and more.
If you would like to attend this event, please email Kendell Sweeney-Thomas at Kendell.Sweeney-Thomas@remi.com, contact us by phone at (413) 549-1169, or click below to register.
Kyle Compton is an Economic Associate at REMI, responsible for managing business development and client support operations in the Mountain West, Heartland, and Northern Plains regions. Mr. Compton has consulted on and supported a number of high-visibility economic impact analyses, including the economic impact of closing the San Juan Generating Station in New Mexico, the state economic development program of Nebraska, and major tax reform legislation in Utah.
Prior to starting at REMI, Mr. Compton was a Research Assistant in the UMass Amherst Economics department, where he evaluated the evidence of ecosystem services for disaster risk reduction as part of a forthcoming global IPCC study. Mr. Compton was also a consultant for Verité, a nonprofit organization that conducts research, advocacy and consulting on global working conditions. At Verité, he researched the labor conditions under migrant labor firms operating in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, in addition to scoring the legal and practical labor conditions of emerging economies for a socially conscious investment fund. Building on his work for Verité, he earned the James Kindahl Award in Economics from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst for his paper, “Determinants of Forced Labor: Evidence from 21 Emerging Economies.”
Cyrus Ballroom A
920 S. Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612
Thank you for your interest in REMI. Your registration is confirmed for our luncheon “Hunting Development: Responsible Incentive and Medicaid Expansion Strategies” on Tuesday, March 10th, 2020.
The event will take place from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Cyrus Hotel, Cyrus Ballroom A on 920 S. Kansas Ave., Topeka, KS 66612.
We will call a day or so before the event to confirm your attendance and to see if you have any questions. Please feel free to share the invitation with any other staff or colleagues who may be interested.
We look forward to seeing you in Topeka!
Regional Economic Models, Inc.